Saint Mary's host presidential finalists

Since an email sent to the campus community over the summer announced President Carol Ann Mooney’s retirement at the end of the 2015-2016 academic year, Saint Mary’s has launched a search for the College's 12th president.  

Spearheaded by chair Elizabeth Culligan, the Presidential Search Committee aims to involve the College community in the selection process through allowing it to interact with the candidates, according to the College's website.

The finalists were invited to campus on separate dates to participate in the following events: a meeting with the Congregation Leadership team, a breakfast with faculty assembly officers, a meeting with the cabinet and open forums with students, hourly staff, administrators and faculty, according to College. Each candidate’s resume was forwarded to the community preceding her visit to campus.

The finalists also gave presentations outlining a five-year plan for the College and introducing which strategies they would implement if they were named president. Attendees were then invited to ask questions and engage in open discussion with the candidates. The search committee has stressed the importance of community involvement in its selection process.

Following each candidate’s presentation, members of the Saint Mary’s community, including students, faculty, administrators, alumnae and staff, received an electronic evaluation form assessing each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses. The search committee will consider responses to this survey as it aims to choose a president who best fulfills the needs and demands of the College, it said in an update posted to the College's website.

Though three finalists were originally scheduled to present at these events from Jan. 12 to Jan. 21, one of the candidates withdrew before the campus visit scheduled for Jan. 21. The two candidates presented last week, and the Presidential Search Committee will meet and discuss the successor to President Mooney’s 12-year service to Saint Mary’s.