-

-

Former employee seeks protective order in lawsuit

| Sunday, January 17, 2016

A Notre Dame student filed a lawsuit last October against the University and a former employee, alleging sexual harassment and racial discrimination. WSBT reported Friday that the former employee’s attorney, Ed Sullivan, requested a “protective order for information exchanged during the discovery phase of the case.”

The suit alleges a white University employee — “Jane Roe”  — coerced the plaintiff — “John Doe,” an African-American student at the University — into a sexual relationship with her daughter, who attends a “nearby school” but is also an employee of the University. The suit also alleges University administrators knew  about the misconduct and, citing Title VI and Title IX, had a responsibility to intervene for the student’s wellbeing, which was compromised by a racially and sexually hostile environment.

John Doe’s attorney, Pete Agostino, did not object to the request for a protective order, WSBT reported, “but said he wanted to reexamine the scope of what could be deemed as ‘confidential.’ … The judge, Honorable Michael Scopelitis, agreed to let the attorneys reach an agreement on what would be considered ‘confidential’ before making a decision in a few weeks.”

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report