-

-

10th Annual Day of Man

| Monday, February 15, 2016

To the communities of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s,

Did you attend this past weekend’s Keenan Revue and think to yourself, “I wish I could feel better about helplessly staring at scantily-clad men?” Do you like helping the homeless? If you answered yes to one — or more likely both — of these questions then do we have an event for you!

This Wednesday, Feb. 17, is Siegfried Hall’s 10th annual Day of Man. Once again, the strapping lads of Siegfried Hall will brave the cold of February in South Bend to stand in solidarity with our homeless brothers and sisters. Wearing at most a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops (but let’s be honest, preferably less) the rambling men of Siegfried will be roaming campus, classrooms and dining halls asking for your support for the South Bend Center for the Homeless.

Homelessness impacts hundreds of thousands of people across the United States every year. It disproportionately affects our nation’s veterans and causes irreparable damage to the bright futures of many children. During these cold winter months, homelessness not only puts those who suffer from it at an economic risk, but also a physical one. Over the last 10 years, we’ve been freezin’ for a reason: to raise money to support and aid the homeless in our South Bend community. We cannot do this without your help.

We ask your support, Notre Dame, so that as we freeze for one day, the homeless of our community may freeze no longer. No donation is too small, every dollar counts. If Mountain Dew can spend 4.5 million dollars on a commercial about a “PuppyMonkeyBaby,” you can spend a couple dollars to help combat homelessness and its countless effects upon society.

Alex Campbell
Senior

Michael Hernick
Sophomore

Shane Jenkins
Sophomore

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com