-

-

In defense of diverse presidents

| Thursday, February 18, 2016

Dear Eddie,

I read your Viewpoint letter, “Threat to our religious roots,” and found it quite worrisome. The bulk of your letter argues the United States is a Christian nation and that the election of a non-Christian to the presidency would signify a moral decline towards “oblivion.”

You’re right when you state the First Amendment does not declare the United States a godless nation. However, it doesn’t flow logically from there to declare the United States a Christian nation, which you state verbatim. The United States is an amalgam of almost every religion on the planet. It is this mixing of values that make the United States what it is. You said it yourself when you stated, “America’s exceptionalism is rooted in its religious influences.” I agree, with an emphasis on the plural “influences.”

I would also like to point out that Christianity does not have exclusive rights to morality. One can be moral without believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ. It’s a person’s actions that define his or her character after all.

I think it’s far more frightening that a man who’s uttered racist, xenophobic, misogynist and offensive statements won the Republican Party’s New Hampshire primary, but that’s just me.

Rob Ryan

class of 2012

Feb. 11

Tags: , , , , ,

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com