Tuesday, May 14, 2024

The Observer announces new department heads

Seven new and two returning department heads will complete The Observer’s 2016-2017 Editorial Board, incoming Editor-in-Chief Margaret Hynds announced Wednesday night.

The new department editors will join Hynds as well as incoming Managing Editor Kayla Mullen and Assistant Managing Editors Clare Kossler, Zach Klonsinski and Alex Carson in running editorial operations for the paper.

Juniors Erin McAuliffe, Jimmy Kemper, Wei Cao and Caitlyn Jordan, sophomores Katie Galioto, Nicole Caratas, Marek Mazurek, Susan Zhu and freshman Claire Radler will take over their respective departments March 13.

McAuliffe, a junior in Pasquerilla East Hall, will continue to serve as Scene Editor. A marketing major with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy, she began writing for Scene her freshman year. Originally from Cincinnati, McAuliffe is also a WVFI DJ.

Kemper, a native of Alpharetta, Georgia, will begin working as Web Editor. He began writing for Scene his freshman year and has covered a variety of arts and entertainment topics, including Taylor Swift’s business relationship with Spotify and Kanye West’s shoes. Kemper, a resident of Zahm House, is an economics and English double major.

Cao will continue to work as Multimedia Editor. An aerospace engineering major and Walnut, California, native living in Dillon Hall, Cao has been with The Observer since his freshman year. He has his own art blog and plays the tuba in the marching band.

Jordan will join the Editorial Board as Photo Editor. The Saint Mary’s junior hails from Ashburn, Virginia, and lives in Le Mans Hall. Jordan is a communication studies major with a minor in film studies. She works with photography and video media and hopes to pursue a job in filmmaking.

Galioto, a resident of Walsh Hall, will head the News department. She began her work with The Observer in fall of 2014 and has since covered a variety of campus issues, including the ESPN lawsuit and Mental Health Awareness Week. Galioto hails from Chanhassen, Minnesota, and is pursuing a degree in finance with minors in Italian and journalism, ethics and democracy.

Caratas, a native of Lake Villa, Illinois, currently living in Holy Cross Hall, will take over as Saint Mary’s Editor. Caratas is a sophomore English writing and humanistic studies double major. She has been writing for The Observer since her freshman year, covering issues such as Title IX and “The Hunting Ground” documentary.

Mazurek will take on the position of Sports Editor. A Mishawaka resident, he currently resides in Carroll Hall on campus. He is pursuing a degree in history with a minor in journalism, ethics and democracy and has been writing for The Observer since his freshman year. He currently covers men’s basketball and has previously covered women’s soccer and cross country. 

Radler, the incoming Viewpoint Editor, began working for The Observer this fall as a copyeditor for the department. Currently living in Pangborn Hall, she was born and raised in Winnetka, Illinois.  She is a freshman English and political science double major and also works for the First Year of Studies.

Zhu, originally from Granger, will assume the role of Graphics Editor. A resident of Ryan Hall, she has been a graphic designer for The Observer for two years. She is a chemistry and political science double major and also works for the Snite Museum of Art.