-

-

Sports

Notre Dame dominates against top competition

| Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Notre Dame had a successful weekend at the Northwestern Duals, a two-day event that took place on Notre Dame’s campus this past weekend, with the women’s team notching an undefeated weekend and the men’s team only dropping one match. The Wildcats hosted the event, but it took place at Notre Dame’s Castellan Family Fencing Center due to ongoing renovations that are taking place at Northwestern’s Henry Crown Sports Pavilion.

The No. 1 Irish women finished both weekend days with spotless 6-0 records. On the first day of the duals, the Notre Dame women beat No. 8 Penn 24-3 to open the day before downing No. 3 Princeton 14-13 and No. 6 Ohio State 15-12 in early rounds before winning their last 3 rounds against Farleigh Dickenson, Stanford and Cal Tech, all double-digit victories.

Sophomore Marie-Anne Roche competes in the Northwestern Duals on Saturday at Notre Dame’s Castellan Family Fencing Center.Emmet Farnan | The Observer

Sophomore Marie-Anne Roche competes in the Northwestern Duals on Saturday at Notre Dame’s Castellan Family Fencing Center.

On day two of the Duals, the Irish women picked up exactly where they left off by beating Temple, Air Force, UC San Diego and Northwestern in their first four rounds. Notre Dame then secured a perfect 12-0 record for the weekend by beating Penn State and Lawrence Sunday afternoon.

On the men’s side, No. 2 Notre Dame also shined throughout the weekend. On Saturday, the Irish went 5-1 with victories against Stanford, UC San Diego, Air Force, Ohio State and No. 8 Princeton. The sole blemish for the Irish was a match against No. 3 Penn, which Notre Dame dropped 14-13.

Just like the Notre Dame women, the Irish men finished the Northwestern Duals with an undefeated performance Sunday. The Irish went 6-0 against a schedule that included Cal Tech, Lawrence and Detroit. The Irish finished their day and the weekend overall with victories over Penn State, Cleveland State and Northwestern.

Notre Dame will look to build on this momentum next weekend when it returns to action at the Duke Duals next Saturday in Durham, North Carolina.