Notre Dame rides hot streak to weekend sweep

Notre Dame capped off its third and fourth matches of the week by defeating Indiana and Louisville by identical 6-1 scores Saturday and Sunday at Eck Tennis Pavilion. The Irish (7-3, 2-0 ACC) have now won three consecutive matches and six of their last seven.

Two Irish players won in both singles and doubles action for Notre Dame in Sunday’s victory over the Cardinals (6-4, 0-2 ACC): sophomore Allison Miller and junior Mary Closs. Miller teamed with junior Jane Fennelly to win the first match of the day at No. 3 doubles, 6-0, while Closs and doubles partner senior Julie Vrabel followed that win with a 6-3 victory of their own at No. 2 doubles.

Irish junior Mary Closs reaches to return a shot during Notre Dame’s 6-1 win over Indiana. Closs won her singles match, 6-3, 6-1.

Miller then competed at No. 3 singles, winning in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1. Closs finished her day with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles.

Senior All-ACC performer Quinn Gleason, who entered the weekend as the No. 44 singles player in the nation, made quick work of her opponent at No. 1 singles, winning 6-1, 6-2. 

Junior Monica Robinson was victorious in her No. 2 singles match, 6-1, 6-1, and sophomore Brooke Broda won at No. 5 singles match, 6-1, 6-2.

Sunday’s action continued Notre Dame’s strong play from the day before, when the Irish downed the Hoosiers (6-2, 0-0 Big Ten).

Gleason and Robinson, the 15th-ranked doubles pairing in the country, cruised to a 6-1 victory at the top doubles position. After Closs and Vrabel fell at No. 2 doubles, Miller and Fennelly teamed up for a 6-4 victory at third doubles to seal the first point of the match for Notre Dame.

Gleason, Robinson, Closs, Broda and Fennelly all brought home victories for Notre Dame during the singles portion of the match. Miller was the only player to lose Saturday, but she fell in a hard-fought match, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-8.

The Irish will look to continue this momentum throughout ACC play, but have a few days to rest after their busy week. Notre Dame returns to action on Friday, when the team will head to Boston College. Following that matchup, the Irish will stay in the Northeast and take on Syracuse on Sunday.