-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Notre Dame travels to take on two ACC foes

| Friday, February 26, 2016

Notre Dame is set to hit the road this weekend as it will take on both Boston College and Syracuse. The match against Boston College (5-4, 0-2) will take place at 5 p.m. Friday and the Syracuse (7-1, 1-1) match will be held at 11 a.m. Sunday.

The Irish (7-3, 2-0) are coming off of wins against Indiana and Louisville at home last weekend and won both contests 6-1. Last Saturday, the Irish bounced the Hoosiers in singles play as junior Jane Fennelly, junior Mary Closs, sophomore Brooke Broda, senior Quinn Gleason and junior Monica Robinson all won their matches. Robinson and Broda both lost the first set of their matches before coming back to win the next two. Fennelly won her first set before losing the second, but she won the decisive third set 6-3. The lone Irish loss was sophomore Allison Miller, who came up short in a close 2-6, 7-6, 10-8 contest. In doubles, Gleason/Robinson and Fennelly/Miller came out on top in their matches.

Irish senior Quinn Gleason fires a serve during Notre Dame’s 6-1 win over Indiana on Saturday at Eck Tennis Pavilion. Gleason is 13-3 in singles play this season and 8-5 in doubles play.Caitlyn Jordan | The Observer

Irish senior Quinn Gleason fires a serve during Notre Dame’s 6-1 win over Indiana on Saturday at Eck Tennis Pavilion. Gleason is 13-3 in singles play this season and 8-5 in doubles play.

The next day, in a conference matchup against Louisville, Notre Dame once again set the tone in doubles play. The Irish swept the doubles competition and Miller, Gleason, Robinson, Broda, and Closs were all victorious in straight sets to end a dominant weekend.

Head coach Jay Louderback said his team’s confidence grows with each match.

“I think the confidence we have gained as the year has progressed shows up in our three set wins,” Louderback said. “Our doubles has improved significantly and it makes a big difference going into the singles.”

As Notre Dame’s conference schedule starts to pick up, the Irish will face multiple raked teams. Louderback said he believes the upcoming matches will be good competition for his team and he wants them to take advantage of it.

“We are getting down to our conference matches,” Louderback said. “Each one brings a ranked team which helps put us in position to do well in the post season.”

Louderback believes both Boston College and Syracuse will both be strong competition. He said his team is ready to take on Syracuse and will uses the Notre Dame’s past experience with Boston College as a template for what he expects to see Friday.

“Syracuse is having a great start to their season with five new players in their lineup so we will be seeing the new players for the first time,” he said. “We always have a great match with [Boston College] and this year will be no exception.”

Louderback believes the No. 1 singles match will be crucial in both matches, and believes his top singles player, Gleason, is up to the task.

“Both teams are very good at No. 1 singles so Quinn will really be tested in both matches,” Louderback said.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About Michael Ivey

Contact Michael