Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Robinson, Blais elected student body president, VP

The campaign for student body president and vice president ended Wednesday night as the Judicial Council announced junior Corey Robinson and sophomore Becca Blais as the winners of this year’s election.

Robinson and Blais were up against two other tickets in the race: juniors Dominic Alberigi and Jennifer Cha, and juniors Louis Bertolotti and Elizabeth Fenton.

Corey Robinson and Becca Blais emerge from the Judicial Council office after receiving news they had won the student body election for president and vice president.

In order to win the election, a ticket must receive a majority of the valid votes casted, according to the student body constitution. All candidates agreed to withhold voting data from the student body until Thursday morning when Judicial Council makes its official announcement, Blais said.

“It feels very humbling to be able to be announced the president and vice president of Notre Dame,” Robinson said. “It’s [definitely something] we’ve been dreaming about for a long time, and to be able to be here and lead the student body is just something I am very thankful for.”

Blais, who will serve as vice president, credited the victory to the ticket’s campaign team

“This entire experience has been transformational, and it’s been amazing,” she said. “Thanks to the people who have helped us and who have been with us every step along the way, and the people who have appeared out of seemingly nowhere and just been so supportive and so wonderful.”

Alberigi and Cha said they hope to continue conversations about the issues highlighted in their platform and throughout their campaign.

“Given the unique politics of this race, we’re happy with what we were able to accomplish,” Cha said. “We’ll continue to work on mental health within student government and the administration.”

Bertolotti said he and Fenton will support the Robinson-Blais administration in whatever capacity they are able to, continuing to pursue their mission to ensure a “bright future” for the University.

“This campus is full of good, hardworking, smart people who will move us to great heights in the coming year,” Bertolotti said. “Elizabeth and I are incredibly excited to lend our hands to this process and urge our fellow students to learn more about student government and what it can do for all of us.”

Robinson said he and Blais will focus on building a team over the next couple of weeks that will allow them to start implementing their ideas as soon as they take office.

“[Our team] helped us create this incredible policy that we really believe in, that students can get behind and that is sustainable and can have an immediate impact,” he said. “Campaign season’s exhausting, but now we can finally start assembling our team and get ready to really make some of our policies and ideas real.”

Robison and Blais will officially take office on April 1.