Seniors look to finish careers on a high note

Saint Mary’s will try to end its season on a high note when it takes to the road to face Albion this Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

The Belles (1-23, MIAA 1-14) have one more chance to tack on a second win to their total in their final game of the year. This will also be the final game for the Belles’ four seniors, three of whom are team captains.

Captains Eleni Shea, Krista Knapke, forwards, and Maddie Kohler, a guard, will all be graduating in the spring and represent three of the four leading scorers on the team. Shea averages 12.5 points per game to lead the Belles, and Knapke is close behind, having scored 281 points this season for an average of 11.7 points per game. Kohler has scored 159 points this season, making her the team's fourth-highest scorer, and she has also helped the squad on defense, with 29 steals this year. The upcoming game against Albion will also be the final one for senior guard Sarah Macius, who has averaged more than six points per game this year.

Senior captain forward Krista Knapke jumps up for a layup during Saint Mary’s 74-66 loss against Kalamazoo at Angela Athletic Facility.

Albion (9-15, 5-10) is in the midst of a three-game losing streak. The Britons average 62.3 points per game, in comparison to the Belles’ 55.1. The Britons are also leads Saint Mary’s in field goal percentage, 3-point percentage, assists per game and rebounds. The Belles recently fell to Albion on Jan. 20, 62-54. The Belles struggled offensively against Albion, and the team’s leading scorer for the game, sophomore Gabby Diamond, who scored 12 points against the Britons, is currently studying abroad.

Albion has a record of 1-9 at home, with its other eight wins coming from away games or games played at neutral sites.

The Belles will need to get off to a strong first half in order to take down the Britons. Throughout the season, the Belles have been able to make strong runs in the second half, outscoring their opponents in the third and fourth quarters on multiple occasions. However, their slow starts have often left them with deficits too large to overcome.

Although the Belles lost their final home game of the season last week against Kalamazoo, they have the opportunity to grab another win and send their seniors off on a high note.

The Belles will go head-to-head with the Britons in their final game of the season at 3:30 p.m. at Albion.