Saint Mary's club raises money for Riley Hospital

This week, Saint Mary’s College Dance Marathon (SMCDM) is hosting Riley Week to promote awareness and raise money for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.

Allison Lukomski, co-president of SMCDM, said she and the Dance Marathon executive board hope to inform Saint Mary's students about the Riley Hospital and the programs it offers for kids requiring medical attention and their families.

“The motives and goals for this week are to bring awareness to the community about the miracles that are happening at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis,” she said.

Saint Mary’s students attend a yoga class on Sunday. All proceeds from the event were donated to the Riley Hospital for children.

The week kicked off with a yoga event Sunday. All proceeds were donated to Riley Hospital. Free doughnuts and coffee were available Monday in the lobby of Spes Unica as incentives for students to sign up for the upcoming marathon.

We are also promoting for students to sign up for the day of the Marathon, which is on March 19,” Lukomski said. “We dance for 12 hours for a cause that is bigger than yourself, we dance for a cure and we dance to put miracles into motion.”

Lukomski said students can register for the marathon throughout the week, free of charge.

“We want other students to feel the same passion and energy that the Dance Marathon members feel the day of the marathon and invite people to join us,” she said.

SMCDM will host a dinner in Conference Rooms A and B on Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tickets will be sold for $5 per person, and students who register for the marathon can attend the dinner for free. Students will help create a video for patients in the hospital at the dinner.

On Thursday, Notre Dame alumnus Pat McKillen will sing in Dalloway’s Clubhouse from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Admission will be $5 per person.

“All of the $5 entrance fees go directly to Riley Hospital for Children,” Maranda Pennington, co-president of SMCDM, said. “Pat McKillen has been a strong supporter of SMCDM while he was at Notre Dame and even after his graduation. We are ecstatic to have him back on campus this week.”

Pennington said SMCDM will host local Riley families for a dinner in the Noble Family Dining Hall on Friday.

“This is an event where we invite our Riley kids and their families to campus to share a meal with committee girls and executives,” she said. “It's a special night that reminds us that everything we do is truly for the kids.

“Our hope in raising awareness during this week is that more people will decide to attend the marathon this year or become a member of Dance Marathon in years to come.”