Couple endows coaching position

On the eve of Notre Dame’s ACC tournament bid, the University announced in a press release that Toronto couple Glenn and Stacey Murphy have made a $5 million donation to endow the men’s basketball head coaching position.

Current men’s basketball head coach, Mike Brey, will be the first coach endowed under the Murphy’s donation.

“It is such a great honor to have Glenn and Stacey provide this wonderful gift to the University,” Brey said in a press release. “It will enable the Notre Dame men’s basketball program to continue its proud tradition of providing great leadership and personal development for our student-athletes in the years to come.

“Talking with Glenn and Stacey during their visits to campus, we shared an immediate connection over our dedication to education, family and collegiate athletics. I’m thrilled they have decided to get involved with our program in such a powerful way.”

Glenn Murphy, a graduate of the University of Western Ontario, attended his first Notre Dame football game in 1981 and has remained a fan ever since. Though he was introduced to Notre Dame athletics through the football program, he has since become a major supporter of the men’s basketball team, according to the press release.

“We are so proud to be forever associated with ND Athletics, the men’s basketball program and especially a quality individual like Coach Mike Brey,” Glenn Murphy said. “Stacey and I are excited to join the prestigious list of Canadian donors to the University of Notre Dame.”

Glenn Murphy served as chairman and chief executive officer of Gap, Inc. from 2007 to 2014, and is credited with revitalizing the company through a number of acquisitions and reversing a slump in sales.

Jack Swarbrick, the James E. Rohr Director of Athletics, oversees the men’s basketball program at Notre Dame.

“The Murphys’ extraordinary generosity and the confidence it reflects in the basketball program that Coach Mike Brey has built is critical to our continued success,” Swarbrick said in the press release. “With Purcell Pavilion having been renovated to be one of the best basketball arenas in the country, the soon to be developed practice facility, our sustained competitive success, and now the endowment of both our men’s and women’s head coaching positions, Notre Dame basketball is as well positioned as it ever has been to help our student-athletes achieve excellence on the court and in the classroom.”

The Irish look to defend their 2015 ACC championship title tomorrow when they take on Duke in the third round of ACC tournament play.