-

-

Leave the gaggle alone

| Monday, March 21, 2016

I am a dog person, a dog person through and through. I am also from Berkeley, California. I was born there and even stayed as an undergrad. Berkeley is an interesting place where people are always ready to unleash a barrage of hashtags and organized protests over the latest and greatest social justice warrior cause. Due to spending my undergrad years in Berkeley and never experiencing a real winter, this month has been my first exposure to Canada Goose jackets. My first impulse when I saw a fellow student wearing a Canada Goose jacket was to step back and wait for a PETA protestor to start throwing red paint but then I realized I wasn’t in Berkeley anymore.

Canada Goose of course uses fur from coyotes to add a little stylish trim to the hoods of their jackets. But I am not here to pass judgment or condemn those wearing them; it’s not their fault. I am here, however, to pass judgment on cat people. Because no dog person could ever look at the images of a coyotes struggling in leg traps for hours and days on end and then purchase a Canada Goose jacket. So to everyone on campus with a Canada Goose jacket, I am sorry your crazy cat lady aunt bought you that jacket for Christmas and is forcing you to wear it.

And to those that might assume I am just a granola-eating, hippie from Berkeley — you are wrong. I am the proud nephew of my Uncle Sam and simply doing my patriotic duty to rid this beautiful campus from an invasion of trendy, overpriced Canadian coats.

Cormac Craigie
Master of Science in Management 
class of 2016

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com