-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Irish split pair of road conference matches

| Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Notre Dame split two ACC matches over the weekend, defeating Boston College 4-3 on the road Friday before falling at Syracuse, 4-3, on Sunday.

The Irish (8-4, 3-1 ACC) got off to a slow start Friday, dropping the doubles point to the Eagles (5-6, 0-4) to open the contest. Senior Quinn Gleason and junior Monica Robinson fell 6-3 at No. 1 doubles to put the Irish behind before junior Mary Closs and senior Julie Vrabel dropped a 6-4 decision on the second court, handing Boston College the early advantage.

Senior Quinn Gleason returns a shot during Notre Dame’s 6-1 victory over Indiana at Eck Tennis Pavilion on Feb. 20.Caitlyn Jordan | The Observer

Senior Quinn Gleason returns a shot during Notre Dame’s 6-1 victory over Indiana at Eck Tennis Pavilion on Feb. 20.

When Closs and sophomore Brooke Broda won the first two singles matches to finish at the Nos. 4 and 5 flights, the Irish pulled ahead 2-1, but their advantage was short-lived. Eagles sophomore Lexi Borr took down Gleason 6-3, 6-2 on the top court to level proceedings before Eagles junior Emily Safron defeated sophomore Allison Miller in three sets on the third court to put Notre Dame on the brink of defeat.

The Irish rallied, however, as Robinson and Fennelly took three-set victories in the last two matches of the day to keep their team perfect in conference play.

That changed Sunday, though, as Syracuse (8-1, 2-1) turned the tables on Notre Dame late in the Orange victory.

Like they did in Friday’s win, the Irish fell behind early after dropping the doubles point; Closs and Vrabel earned a 6-1 win to put Notre Dame ahead early, but losses on the Nos. 1 and 3 courts dug them into an early hole.

Syracuse freshman Maria Tritou topped Closs 6-3, 6-2 to extend the hosts’ lead to 2-0, but successive victories from Robinson, Broda and Miller gave Notre Dame a 3-2 lead, just needing one more win to stay unbeaten in league play.

But it didn’t come, as wins by Orange freshman Dina Hegab and graduate student Anna Shkudun on the sixth and first courts sealed the victory for the hosts.

Notre Dame returns to action Sunday when it visits Miami (Fla.) for an ACC match before heading to Puerto Rico for games with East Carolina and LIU Brooklyn.

Tags: , , , , , , ,