Belles drop conference contest to Knights

On Tuesday night in Grand Rapids, Michigan, St. Mary's walked away with a 15-4 loss against conference foe Calvin. This marked the second straight loss for the Belles (6-7, 3-2 MIAA) and moved them below a .500 record for the season. The team currently sits at fifth place in the standings with four games to go and the top four teams making the conference playoffs.

Against the Knights (6-5, 3-1), the game was tight for the first 10 minutes. Calvin got the scoring started two minutes in, but St. Mary’s quickly responded to tie the game up. Calvin then went on a three goal spurt, yet St. Mary’s was able to keep things under control. The Belles stopped the small run and notched their second goal of the game to make it 4-2 with 10:34 left in the first half. The remainder of the first half, however, saw Calvin go on a 5-0 run to cap off the half with a 9-2 lead. The second half was a back-and-forth exchange between both teams as St. Mary’s was fighting to get back in the game, but the first half deficit proved to be too much as Calvin cruised to the 15-4 final score.

Despite the loss, freshman midfielder Kate Kelly netted four of the team’s five goals on the night and added three draw controls. Junior attack Emilie Vanneste was able to get a goal and an assist for herself as well. Calvin led the game in shots at 24-17 while also leading 14-10 in ground balls.

The Belles will look to rebound from their back-to-back losses Friday as they take on Alma at 5 p.m. on Holy Cross College South Field.