University names director for academic diversity and inclusion

The University selected Pamela Nolan Young to fill the new position for director of academic diversity and inclusion, according to an April 7 press release.

Young, a graduate of Notre Dame Law School, will join the University’s Provost Staff and focus mainly on enhancing Notre Dame’s faculty climate while also coordinating diversity and inclusion within the academic sphere, the release said.

“The desire to bring together diverse voices and perspectives is at the heart of what Notre Dame stands for,” Thomas G. Burish, the University’s Charles and Jill Fischer Provost, said in the release. “I am so pleased to welcome Pamela back to Notre Dame to lead us in this mission-critical area and to ensure we are both purposeful and effective in the ways we seek to foster an environment where all may flourish.”

Prior to filling this new position, Young worked as the director of institutional diversity and equity at Smith College. She also worked for North Shore Community College for five years as their human resources director. At both schools, Young managed affirmative action plans and maintained diversity policies and events.

“A prominent presenter on issues of equality, diversity and inclusion, Young has served in various community leadership roles, including as a member of the New England Resource Center for Higher Education Multicultural Affairs Think Tank and on boards for organizations involved with cultural enrichment, educational advancement, abused women and children, food pantries and housing discrimination,” the release stated.