-

-

Diverse perspectives

| Monday, April 18, 2016

The Center for Civil and Human Rights was one of six campus co-sponsors of an April 8 talk by George Deek, an Arab Christian who has served in Israel’s diplomatic corps. Mr. Deek, now a Fulbright Scholar at Georgetown, reflected on his personal experiences and suggested a path to peace based on those experiences. Co-sponsorship of Mr. Deek’s talk advanced the CCHR’s mission of human rights education, as did the CCHR’s co-sponsorship of other events in which speakers have been critical of Israel. An essential part of education is exposure to diverse perspectives, including perspectives with which students disagree. Such exposure encourages critical thinking, provides an opportunity for civil discourse and creates an opportunity for opponents to identify common ground. The CCHR does not endorse the views of any speaker, but strongly supports the respectful exchange of ideas and the value of constructive dialogue.

Jennifer Mason McAward
Center for Civil and Human Rights
April 15

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com