-

-

SMC Golf

Belles prepare for first tournament in three weeks

| Friday, April 1, 2016

After nearly three weeks since their last competition, Saint Mary’s will travel to St. Louis, Missouri, this weekend, hoping to garner momentum for the rest of their season.

The Belles will compete in the Washington University-Saint Louis Invite this Saturday at Norman Probstein golf course. Saint Mary’s head coach Kim Moore said her team is looking forward to resuming competition after a lengthy delay in the team’s schedule, and expects the Belles to improve on their previous tournament in Arizona — their first of the spring season.

“It’s been a little challenging these past couple weeks without being able to practice outside on a consistent basis, but we always do what we can and we prepare to the best of our ability regardless,” Moore said. “I’m really excited to get back into some competitions — it has been a while since our last event.”

The Belles’ last event came in the form the George Fox Invitational in Peoria, Arizona on March 12-13, where the team collectively shot a 93-over-par 661. The Belles aim to improve upon that score this weekend in St. Louis, and Moore expects her top players to swing the clubs well and contribute heavily in that effort.

“I’m really looking for [sophomore] Kelsey Conkright to use her personal best round as some really good momentum going into this weekend,” Moore said.  “I’m also looking for some consistent contributions from [junior] Ali Mahoney and [senior] Sammie Averill.”

The Saint Louis Invite begins at 1 p.m. on Saturday, with action beginning Sunday at 9 a.m.

About Joe Everett

Joe is a junior PLS major and hails from the thriving metropolis of South Bend, IN. He is a proud resident of Stanford Hall and the defending champion of the Observer's Fantasy Football league.

Contact Joe