Saint Mary's rebounds against Concordia

Saint Mary’s rebounded from a 9-0 defeat against Augustana to claim a 9-0 victory of its own over Concordia on March 23. The Belles victory prevented a two-game losing streak, a rut they haven’t fallen into all season.

In seven singles matches, Saint Mary’s (7-3) not only won all seven, but only lost seven combined games throughout singles action. The Belles had two double winners: freshman Monica Davy and junior Sam Setterblad. Setterblad lead the charge for the Belles as she didn’t lose a game in her match at No. 3 singles, winning 6-0, 6-0. Davy was victorious at No. 2 singles 6-1, 6-0. Davy and Setterblad then teamed up at No. 1 singles, winning 8-2.

Other winners for the Belles included senior captain and second-team All-MIAA performer Andrea Fetters, who was victorious 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1. singles. At No. 4 and No. 5 singles, freshman Elizabeth Preister and junior Alaina Anderson both won their matches 6-1, 6-0. Sophomore Kaelin Schillinger defeated her opponent 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6 singles.

The other clean sweep of the day for the Belles was at No. 2 doubles, where senior Margaret Faller and sophomore Maddie Minaudo captured an 8-0 victory. Junior Kaity Venters and freshman Abbi Fleming won 8-1 at No. 3 doubles to finish off the 9-0 undefeated meet for the Belles.

Saint Mary’s will look to carry this momentum into their match against Olivet, as its match against Bethel on Thursday was postponed indefinitely due to weather. Olivet (4-6, 0-1) will be the Belles first MIAA conference foe, and the Comets have won two or their last three matches.

The match is scheduled to start Friday at 4 p.m. at Saint Mary’s Tennis Courts.