University announces 2016 valedictorian, salutatorian

Political science major and Ryan Hall resident Abby Davis was named the Notre Dame class of 2016 valedictorian Monday morning, the University announced in a press release.

Hailing from Avon Lake, Ohio, Davis is a Hesburgh-Yusko scholar and a member of both the Glynn Family Honors program and the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, according to the release. She has a 3.99 grade point average (GPA) and after graduation, she will be working as an analyst for Avascent, a Washington-based consulting firm.

Political science major Abby Davis, who holds a 3.99 GPA, was named Notre Dame’s Valedictorian on Monday.
Photo courtesy of nd.edu
Political science major Abby Davis, who holds a 3.99 GPA, was named Notre Dame’s 2016 valedictorian Monday.

Additionally, Davis will graduate with minors in Russian and politics, philosophy and economics (PPE), according to the release. During her time at the University, she was a member of the College of Arts and Letters Academic Honesty Committee for more than two years as well as a co-director for the Russian Choral Ensemble and a member of the Women’s Liturgical Choir.

For the first time in 45 years, the University also named a salutatorian, senior finance and economics major Stephen Schafer, the press release said.

Hugh Page, chair of the selection committee and vice president and associate provost for undergraduate affairs, said naming a salutatorian allowed them to recognize two outstanding seniors.

“[They] will — in these distinctive roles — represent the virtues and ideals animating a Notre Dame undergraduate education on Commencement weekend,” he said in the press release.

An Edgewood, Kentucky native, Schafer will be working as an investment banker for Goldman Sachs in New York following graduation.

Finance major Stephen Schafer was named Notre Dame’s first salutatorian in 45 years Monday.
Finance and economics major Stephen Schafer was named Notre Dame’s first salutatorian in 45 years Monday.

Schafer was a Malpass Scholar and earned a 4.00 GPA during his time at the University, according to the release.

Additionally, he is a member of the National Honor Society, National English Honor Society and Omicron Delta Epsilon international economics honor society, also serving as president of the Beta Gamma Sigma national business honor society.

According to the release, Schafer served as vice chairman for Junior Parents Weekend and as a senior mentor for the Wall Street Club.