Former Irish RB Greg Bryant dies after being shot on Florida interstate

Former Notre Dame running back Greg Bryant died Sunday after suffering gunshot wounds Saturday morning on Interstate 95 in Palm Beach, Florida, according to his family. He was 21 years old.

Conflicting reports emerged Saturday on Bryant’s condition, as his high school football coach Nick LaSala stated on Twitter that Bryant was still alive after the University of Alabama at Birmingham announced his death. However, Bryant’s family confirmed he had succumbed to his injuries on Sunday, as reported by Palm Beach’s CBS 12 television station and the Palm Beach Post's Jim Coleman.

Former Irish running back Greg Bryant attempts to score a touchdown during Notre Dame's 49-14 loss against USC on Nov. 29, 2014, at LA Memorial Coliseum. Bryant was tragically shot on an interstate highway in south Florida on Saturday morning and died a few hours later.
Observer File Photo
Former Irish running back Greg Bryant attempts to score a touchdown during Notre Dame's 49-14 loss against USC on Nov. 29, 2014, at LA Memorial Coliseum. Bryant was tragically shot on an interstate highway in south Florida on Saturday morning.

"This is such a sad and tragic situation," Irish head coach Brian Kelly said in a statement Sunday afternoon. "My thoughts and prayers, as well as those of everyone associated with the University of Notre Dame and its football program, are with Greg's family at this incredibly difficult time."

Bryant, a native of Delray Beach, Florida, started his career at Notre Dame, appearing in 15 games over his freshman and sophomore seasons, rushing for 303 yards and three touchdowns on 57 carries.

Prior to the 2015 season, which would have been his junior year at Notre Dame, Bryant was suspended for four games due to a violation of unspecified team rules, and soon after, he was ruled academically ineligible to play for the Irish that season.

Afterward, Bryant, a former five-star recruit per Rivals, spent the 2015 season at ASA College in North Miami Beach, Florida, a junior college, where he played one game while living in a hotel with friends. Bryant reopened his recruitment process after leaving Notre Dame and signed a letter of intent to enroll at UAB on Dec. 16, 2015, which was re-starting its football program for the 2017 season.

Bryant was traveling Saturday morning with passenger Maurice Grover, who suffered minor injuries in the shooting.