Four individuals make trip to NCAA tournament for Notre Dame

Notre Dame began a new era in 2015-2016 as Mike Litzinger began his tenure as head coach.

“It was a great experience for my first year,” Litzinger said. “The team was craving for some consistency, and leadership that could provide a long term vision. They also developed a fantastic work ethic that will serve them well in the coming years.”

Notre Dame’s first season under Litzinger began with a victory in the Dennis Stark Relays. In the dual meet portion of their schedule, the Irish topped Michigan State, but fell on the road to Florida Gulf Coast, Purdue, Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech before heading to the Boilermaker Invitational for their last event of the fall semester.

At the Boilermaker Invitational, the Irish placed second, helped along by freshman Alice Treuth's victory in the 200-yard backstroke in 1:56.56

Following winter break, the Irish returned to action in a loss to Virginia before picking a victory against Northwestern, which, according to Litzinger, was a turning point in the season for the Irish.

“I think for the women, our meet against Northwestern was pivotal,” Litzinger said. “We hadn't beaten them in the past four meetings, and on paper, they had the advantage. Our women dove and swam with a real purpose — to compete — and, at the end of the day, wouldn't be denied.”

Following the Northwestern victory, the Irish hosted the Shamrock Invitational, where the 400-yard freestyle relay team broke the pool record. On February 13 and 14, the Irish traveled to the Michigan First Chance Meet to conclude their regular season.

At the ACC championship meet in Greensboro, North Carolina, the Irish took seventh overall. Seniors Lindsey Streepey and Emma Gaboury, sophomore Annie Crea and freshman Ella Moynihan all earned trips to the NCAA championships during the conference meet.

During the NCAA championship meet in late March, Moynihan finished in 50th in the 200-freestyle prelims and divers Gaboury and Crea took 29th and 43rd, respectively, in the 3-meter. In the 1-meter Gaboury took 38th and Streepey placed in 41st overall.

“Emma Gaboury and Lindsey Streepey really stood out qualifying for the NCAA championship meet, which puts them among an elite group,” Litzinger said.

Litzinger, who also was named the head coach of the men’s program in April, will look to provide stability moving forward for a program that has encountered numerous coaching changes in recent years, he said.

“Our senior women have been through three coaching changes, and it has been difficult for them," Litzinger said. "I believe if we had another year with that group, their experience would have been richer.”