-

-

Sports

Corey Robinson retires from football

| Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Irish senior receiver Corey Robinson announced today he will retire from football and will not play in Notre Dame’s 2016 season.

Robinson cited multiple concussions as the reason he chose to retire from the game.

“After much consideration and prayer, I have decided not to continue playing football due to multiple concussions,” he said. “I couldn’t have come to this difficult personal decision without the incredible support from so many within the Notre Dame football program — I am extremely grateful to Coach Kelly and his staff for the life-changing opportunity to play football at the greatest university in the world.”

Robinson also said that he would continue to stay with the team as a student-assistant in 2016.

“This was an extremely tough decision for Corey,” Irish head coach Brian Kelly said in a press release. “He’s such a committed kid to everything he does — whether it be academics, football, community service or campus leadership initiatives — that he wanted to finish his four-year career on the field. He was so excited to lead a group of young receivers this fall.”

Robinson was elected student body president in April and will serve in that capacity in the upcoming academic year. Robinson retires with 896 receiving yards on 65 receptions and seven touchdowns.

Irish junior receiver Corey Robinson smiles during Notre Dame’s 38-3 win over Texas on Sept. 5 at Notre Dame Stadium.Zachary Llorens | The Observer

Irish senior receiver Corey Robinson smiles during Notre Dame’s 38-3 win over Texas on Sept. 5 at Notre Dame Stadium.

About Marek Mazurek

Marek is a senior history major and is a former resident of Carroll Hall. He has lived in Mishawaka or South Bend for all 21 years of his life and covers Notre Dame football and men's basketball. He has loads of hand-eye coordination but lacks the height to be any good. Marek is also a proud esports supporter.

Contact Marek
  • As much as I am disappointed we will not have Corey Robinson this season, I just watched Will Smith as Dr. Omalu in the film _Concussion_. I am certain that Corey Robinson’s life of the mind will be lengthened and enhanced by this decision. I love football, especially Notre Dame football; however, CTE is a real threat to every player. The better the player, the more the threat. The NFL reprimanded Odell Beckham for initiating “forcible contact” with the head of a defenseless player, Carolina cornerback Josh Norman, putting Norman at unnecessary risk for injury. In other words, the very kind of collision that football at all levels is trying to avoid. A lifelong Steelers fan and devotee of the Fighting Irish, I am very happy that Corey Robinson has chosen to retire. Dr. John Dwyer: ND ’66, ’68, ’92, and ’98.