University names first woman police chief

The University named Keri Kei Shibata the first woman chief of campus police Wednesday, according to a press release.

Shibata will replace current police chief Phil Johnson on July 1, according to the release. Johnson was promoted to senior director of campus safety and emergency management and will assume his new role July 1 as well.

Currently serving as deputy chief for safety services, Shibata is both a 12-year veteran of NDSP and a 2016 Notre Dame Executive MBA program graduate, according to the release.

Additionally, Shibata has been responsible for the University’s 911 dispatch center, crime prevention and outreach, security and guest services and Clery Act reporting, focusing much of her work on preventing sexual assault and domestic violence on campus, according to the release.

University executive vice president John Affleck-Graves said in the release he looks forward to working with Shibata and Johnson in their new roles.

“Keri Kei is a talented law enforcement officer who has demonstrated excellence in every role she has filled with NDSP,” he said.

Johnson, who has served as chief since 2007, has also been responsible for coordinating emergency management efforts for the past two years, according to the release. In his new role, Johnson will partner with Mike Seamon, vice president for campus safety and event management, to help implement various safety procedures on campus during major University events.

University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the release that nothing is more important than the safety of those on campus.

“We are exceptionally blessed to have a person with Phil’s experience and knowledge leading these critically important efforts,” he said.