Alizé Jones suspended for 2016 season, will remain with team

Irish sophomore tight end Alizé Jones stiff arms Temple defensive back Nate L. Smith on a 45-yard gain during Notre Dame’s game-winning drive in last season’s 24-20 victory over Temple at Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field. It was Jones’ only reception of the night, but it put the Irish in position to win the game from the red zone.

Notre Dame sophomore tight end Alizé Jones, who was likely to be a key piece of Notre Dame’s receiving game this year, has been suspended for the 2016 season.

Irish head coach Brian Kelly announced the suspension in a statement Wednesday, but said Jones will continue to practice with the team and stay on Notre Dame’s roster.

The University gave no official reason for Jones’ suspension, however, Jones indicated on Twitter that the suspension is rooted in an academic issue.

“Notre Dame is a special place and playing football for the Irish is a privilege,” Jones said in a tweet. “With this opportunity comes academic responsibility, and unfortunately, I didn’t meet that responsibility. I love Notre Dame and everything about it. Obviously I’m disappointed at myself, but I'm going to make the best of this situation.”

After a maiden season where he caught 13 passes for 190 receiving yards, Jones was expected to either be Notre Dame’s starting tight end or to join the receiving corps this fall, especially after the departure of senior Corey Robinson from the team.

In Jones’ absence, senior Durham Smythe and junior Nic Weishar are now expected to lead the race for the starting job at tight end.