Residence halls welcome freshmen to Notre Dame

After a hectic weekend, filled with move-ins, ice-breakers and family goodbyes, sophomore Fiona Williams said she was “really happy” with how move-in went in Ryan Hall. 

First-Year students in Saint Edward’s Hall attend DomerFest on Saturday. Students participated in numerous activities during Welcome Weekend as they transitioned to life on campus.

“The team worked quickly and efficiently, moving in all 78 first years — and everyone was moved in before the rain came,” Williams said.

Williams served as a co-captain for the Ryan Hall Welcome Weekend team this year, and she said was grateful for the help of their brother dorm’s Welcome Weekend team.

“It was also nice that some of the Duncan Team came to help with move-in,” she said.

Freshman Caroline Nassab, one of Williams’ charges in Ryan Hall, said the weekend was fun for her and her fellow freshmen.

“The weekend was awesome but very tiring and busy,” Nassab said. 

The freshmen of Ryan Hall went ice skating with the freshmen from Sorin College on Saturday, which Williams said was her favorite part of the weekend. 

“For some of the first years, it was their first time skating, so it was so special for me to see them all having a great time,” Williams said. 

It was one of freshman Abigail Kovar’s favorite events of Welcome Weekend.

“We loved ice skating with Sorin — it was so much fun, and a nice different event,” Kovar said.

Williams said she thought DomerFest, an annual freshmen dance and mixer with music, games and food, went well. Williams said she was pleased with the outcome, despite low expectations from some of the first years. 

“I also had a lot of First Years tell me DomerFest was better than they thought it would be,” Williams said. “They had a good time meeting everyone from the dorms we didn’t get to have events with.”

CAITLYN JORDAN | The Observer First-year students pray during the first class trip to the grotto. The class trip to the grotto is one of many orientation activities students participated in during welcome weekend.
First-year students pray and light candles during their first class trip to the Grotto, one of many orientation activities planned for Welcome Weekend.

Several Ryan freshmen said they were apprehensive about classes starting. Freshman Julia Forte said she was looking forward to the first day.

“We’re excited and nervous for the first day of classes,” Forte said.

Williams said working for the Welcome Weekend team has made her more excited about starting school.

“Working Welcome Weekend definitely made me more excited for the school year because it gave me the chance to meet all of the first years,” Williams said. “It was a bit overwhelming having so much to do and being exhausted, but it was so much fun.”