Five players charged with misdemeanors

The five Notre Dame football players arrested in Fulton County, Indiana, on Aug. 19 all face Class B misdemeanor charges for possession of marijuana, according to a report from ND Insider.

The five students — senior Max Redfield, sophomores Dexter Williams, Te’von Coney and Ashton White and freshman Kevin Stepherson — were arrested at approximately 10:07 p.m. Aug. 19 during a traffic stop.

Redfield will also face charges for carrying a handgun without a license, a Class A misdemeanor, according to the report. The handgun charges were dropped against Stepherson and Williams, who were both in the backseat of the car and had access to the handgun.

The initial hearing for all five students is set for Tuesday at 8:30 a.m., according to the report.

The 2007 Ford Focus, driven by White, was pulled over for a speeding violation and an improper taillight when State Trooper Ben Reason allegedly detected the odor of marijuana coming from the car, an Indiana State Police press release said. From there, a narcotics dog indicated the presence of illegal narcotics inside the vehicle, and in the subsequent search, officers allegedly found marijuana and a loaded handgun.

Redfield was dismissed from the football team following the incident while the other four students were disciplined internally by the program. Irish head coach Brian Kelly has said that all four will be available to play against Texas on Sunday, unless otherwise disciplined by the University’s Office of Community Standards.