Max Redfield dismissed from team, Devin Butler suspended indefinitely

Irish senior safety Max Redfield prepares to tackle the ballcarrier in Notre Dame's 48-17 win over Rice on Aug. 30, 2014. Redfield was dismissed from the team Sunday following his arrest late Friday night.
Irish senior safety Max Redfield prepares to tackle the ballcarrier in Notre Dame’s 48-17 win over Rice on Aug. 30, 2014. Redfield was dismissed from the team Sunday following his arrest late Friday night.

Senior safety Max Redfield has been dismissed from the Notre Dame football team and senior cornerback Devin Butler has been suspended indefinitely, Irish head coach Brian Kelly announced in a statement Sunday afternoon. The decision follows the arrest of six football players, including Redfield and Butler, in two separate incidents late Friday night and early Saturday morning.

“During the past 24 hours, I have met with each of the members of our team involved in the two incidents that occurred over the weekend, reviewed the evidence available to me and consulted with others involved in the leadership of our team and the University,” Kelly said in the statement. “That process has only served to deepen my disappointment in the poor decisions made by these young men. Their conduct fell far short of what we expect from those who represent our football team and this great university.

“On the basis of my review, I have decided to dismiss Max Redfield from our football team and place Devin Butler on indefinite suspension. The other individuals, while not being separated from the team, will be subject to disciplinary measures internal to the football program.”

Redfield was arrested early Saturday morning on the preliminary charges of possession of marijuana and possession of a handgun without a license, while Butler was arrested on the preliminary charges of resisting law enforcement — resulting in officer injury — and battery to a police officer. The St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office has until Wednesday to file formal charges in the case against Butler.

Senior cornerback Devin Butler makes a tackle in a 30-14 victory against Purdue on Sept. 13, 2014. Butler was suspended indefinitely Sunday following his arrest early Saturday morning.

Kelly said the other four players who were arrested — sophomore running back Dexter Williams, sophomore linebacker Te’von Coney, sophomore cornerback Ashton White and freshman receiver Kevin Stepherson — will be subject to further internal disciplinary measures, but have not been dismissed from the team.

Williams, Coney, White and Stepherson were arrested on preliminary charges of possession of marijuana, while Williams and Stepherson also face the charge of possession of a handgun without a license.

Though he has not dismissed the other four players from the team, Kelly said their status may change in light of legal or University judgments.

“In making this announcement it is important to stress that all of the players involved in these two incidents remain subject to justice system and University discipline, and those processes could yet impact their standing with the University and the team,” Kelly said in the statement. “At Notre Dame, where we place so much importance on the integration of students who are athletes into the broader university, the primary responsibility for discipline lies, as it should, with the University's Office of Community Standards.

According to WNDU's Angelo Di Carlo, Stepherson, Williams, White and Coney all practiced Monday.

“But even within that system, there are times when a player's conduct so clearly fails to meet the standards I have set for our football team that it is appropriate to take action independent of any decision that might be made by the Office of Community Standards. This is such an instance. The expectations we set for the members of our team are high, but they are especially so for the upperclassmen who are expected to provide leadership and a positive example to the other members of the team. Max and, at least at this stage in the review of his case, Devin, have failed in that regard and so have lost the privilege of continuing to be part of our team.”

Redfield, who was expected to start for Notre Dame this season, was suspended for last season’s Fiesta Bowl due to a violation of team rules. Butler was expected to compete for a starting spot this year before a refracture of his foot in June left his status for 2016 unclear. Coney and Williams both saw action last season for the Irish, while White did not see the field during his freshman season. Stepherson enrolled at Notre Dame in January as one of five early enrollees.