What to wear besides leggings

Leggings web
SUSAN ZHU | The Observer
SUSAN ZHU | The Observer

This fall will hopefully bring some real pants to campus. That doesn't necessarily mean the restrictive kind with buttons and zippers and no wiggle room, though those come in handy sometimes too. When you’re looking for something comfy for your bottom half, you don’t need to turn straight to your Lulus — let’s be honest, it’s probably been many wears since your favorite pair has been washed. Keep the workout clothes at the gym and try something not made of spandex.

Cargo pants

Especially on a college campus, there are those who see the word “cargo” and scream. The bulky, unflattering work pants probably haven’t plowed their way into your wardrobe, but a lighter, feminine variety is far less daunting. Khaki is the obvious choice, but the forest green made popular by childhood hero Kim Possible goes well with almost everything. Pair with a baggy tee to commit to a rough look, or dress them up with a fitted top and wedges. The pockets will come in handy.

Joggers

You have not experienced swagger until you've strolled campus in a sweet pair of joggers. Paired with chunky sneakers, these baggy pants send one message: you're running things. Amplify the message with bright colors and expressive geometric patterns. These can be found in a fashion boutique or an athletic store and anywhere in between. A tip for those style-seekers: You might find your best joggers by venturing out of the women’s section — I found mine in the boys section at Target.

Harem

These loose, breezy pants show off your adventurous spirit, and they're extremely versatile. A single pair can be worn by many body types, and have a different but still flattering fit on each. The elastic band also provides the option of cinching at the ankle or below the knee. The thin, flowing material is perfect for a warm day in early fall.

Harem may seem out-of-the box at the moment, but when your friends study abroad and come back with elephant pants, they’ll remember who started the trend.

Palazzo

The wide ankles on a pair of palazzos make a big impression. These flared pants from the '70s have made a major comeback this summer. That's not to say you should pull out those old bell-bottom jeans – unlike bell-bottoms, the light material of palazzos flares out evenly from waist to ankle. Ranging from pleated and professional to nearly yoga pants, palazzos provide a perfect option for any occasion.