Devin Butler makes first court appearance on felony charges

Senior Devin Butler, a cornerback for the Notre Dame football team, appeared in St. Joseph Superior Court on Thursday morning on felony charges of resisting law enforcement and battery against a public safety official.

Judge Jeffrey Sanford set a court date for Oct. 17, during the University’s fall break. Thursday marked Butler’s first appearance before a judge.

South Bend police officers arrested Butler outside the Linebacker Lounge early on the morning of Aug. 20. According to court documents, officers were dispatched after receiving reports of a fight in the Lounge.

Police said officers Luke Pickard and Aaron Knepper saw one woman kick another in the head outside the bar. Before they could intercede, Butler approached and lunged at the woman who had kicked the other one, according to court documents.

As Pickard pulled Butler away, the football player allegedly started cursing and punching both officers. Other officers eventually detained Butler using a Taser. He was brought to a holding cell at the St. Joseph County Jail.

Both charges Butler faces are Level 6 felonies, which carry a sentence of between six months and 2 1/2 years upon conviction.

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly indefinitely suspended Butler from the team after the arrest. Butler has appeared in 27 games for Notre Dame, three as a starter, and was already set to miss the start of the season after refracturing his foot during camp over the summer.

Butler may also face discipline at the University.