Saint Mary's to host comedy troupe

Saint Mary’s will host the Reduced Shakespeare Company (RSC) for a performance of  “The Complete History of America (Abridged)” in O’Laughlin Auditorium on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

Richard Baxter, director of campus and community events, said the show is a funny, abridged look at American history, written and performed by the company, but more than anything, it is a comedy show.

“It’s a nonacademic, irreverent, silly play about the topic.” Baxter said. “They’re just very bright skilled, creative performers.”

Baxter said this is the perfect show to bring to campus at this time because it is a great way to help the Saint Mary’s community forget about all the stressful things going on in their lives — like the 2016 presidential election.

“It is a 75-minute piece that will help everyone check out of election season mode,” Baxter said. “I need something that helps me get away from that and engages my mind a little bit, but mostly engages my sense of humor.”

The show does not rely on flashy pyrotechnics, music or any big production elements, according to Baxter.

“What it really relies on is that you just come in and enjoy the show and that’s what they are very good at doing.” Baxter said. “They brought back comic theater though vaudeville and clowning.”

Baxter said the production wants the audience to have a great time at their shows and is what makes attending the plays of the RSC so enjoyable.

Baxter said he was happy to bring in the RSC, as well as other performing guest artists throughout the year. 

“Through an endowed performance arts series, we can give students an opportunity in their four years at Saint Mary’s to see a variety of performing arts,” he said.

Baxter said it is beneficial for the students and for other members the Saint Mary’s community to have a way to forget about their stresses and to be exposed to the talent and humor which the RSC is sure to bring.

Tickets can be purchased at the O’Laughlin box office, and are $14 for students at Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross or $20 for regular admissions.