Saint Mary's adds parking to accommodate construction

Construction and renovation of the Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex began Monday, according to an email sent to the Saint Mary’s student body Sept. 16.

In the email, vice president of student affairs Karen Johnson said a fence was put up around the grounds near Angela. She said the first part of the project is to develop and build the field house on the northeast side of the current Angela Athletic Facility.

According to another email from Johnson sent Wednesday, the parking lots open to students have been changed to accommodate the heavy construction machinery.

The east side of the parking lot will close Sunday, and any cars remaining in those parking spots will be towed at the owner’s expense, according to Johnson. The commuter lot next to the science hall lot is now open to all students, as well as the parking lot outside of the facilities building.

Johnson said additional parking will be made available in the grassy area to the west of the Angela parking lot. The parking spots will not be marked by lines, but there will be a staked area open to students.

Blinkie will stop at both lots to pick up students, Johnson said. Students should remain in their cars with the lights on to let Blinkie know they need to be picked up.

Havican Lane is also now closed to through traffic, and the Sweep will pick up on the corner of McCandless Drive of Havican Lane.

Construction on the Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex is expected to be completed early in 2018.