Saint Mary's set to compete in first MIAA tournament

Saint Mary’s earned second place in its first MIAA tournament of the season Monday at The Medalist Golf Club in Marshall, Michigan.

Coming off a recent first-place finish at the Hanover Fall Classic, the Belles shot a 35-over-par 323 and bested seven teams at this opening event hosted by Albion College. Last year’s conference champion Hope earned top spot with a 21-over-par 309, and conference foe Olivet received third place after falling 13 strokes behind the Belles with a 49-over-par 336.

Senior captain Ali Mahoney led the team, shooting a 5-over-par 77 with 11 pars and a birdie on the round to tie for fourth place overall. Sophomore Taylor Kehoe ended the day two strokes behind Mahoney with a similar 11 pars and a single birdie to finish sixth place overall.

Mahoney commented on the Belles’ performance and how it will translate into their upcoming tournament this Saturday, saying it will be a good change of pace to compete at home.

“I think we played well and we aren’t too far behind Hope,” Mahoney said. “It will be a great advantage playing at home this weekend, so we’re looking forward to making up a few strokes there.”

Mahoney also showed confidence in how the rest of the season will pan out.

“There’s a lot of golf still to play this season. We’re just focusing on taking it shot by shot,” Mahoney said.

The Belles host the second MIAA Jamboree of the season Saturday at Knollwood Country Club in Granger, Indiana at 1 p.m.