-

-

Class representatives plan Sophomore Parents’ Weekend

| Friday, September 30, 2016

After almost two full months away from home, sophomores at Saint Mary’s will be welcoming special visitors this weekend: their parents.

Class of 2019 representatives Sophia Johnson and Alexis Sahagun said this year’s Parents’ Weekend differs greatly from the Parents’ Weekends of the past. The representatives said they wanted to take a new approach when planning the events for the weekend.

“In the past, it has been very informational meeting based, and this year we are trying things a bit differently, and we think it will be a blast,” Johnson said.

She said time with family is always a gift, but for sophomores, this time is especially precious, as many of them are preparing to go abroad in the spring.

“Sophomore Parents’ Weekend is important because it gives parents time to spend with their kids before they go abroad for a whole semester,” Johnson said.

Students who do not plan on studying abroad also love seeing their families, especially as the stress of midterm season grows, she said.

“Even if their daughters aren’t studying abroad, it gives those who live far away a chance to spend time with their parents,” Johnson said. “It’s always nice to have a piece of home come to visit, especially when it’s so close to midterms.”

Many of this years’ events focus on fall, Johnson said. The weekend kicks off with a reception Friday evening, where students and guests will receive a canvas tote and beer mug.

The tote bag will come in handy Saturday morning, when sophomores and their parents will all venture together to the South Bend Farmer’s Market, where they can purchase local produce and explore what the South Bend community has to offer.

Saturday afternoon, parents are invited bring their new mugs to Saint Mary’s Oktoberfest, an event hosted by the Student Activities Board. The event includes a barista making fall drinks, a DJ, giveaways, free pumpkins, a candy apple bar and a Polaroid photo booth.

Following a Saturday evening mass, sophomores and their parents will attend a Polish dinner. Typically, Johnson said, the weekend’s dinner is a slightly more formal event, but this year the dress code is casual and the event takes place on the library green.

Sophomore Grace McNamee said she is excited to show off South Bend’s scenic fall weather to her family.

“I am excited for my parents to come because they are bringing my grandparents, who have never seen campus before,” she said. “Fall is the best time to show off our beautiful campus, so I am looking forward to that.”

According to Johnson, Sophomore Parents’ Weekend will be a great chance for students to bond with family and meet their friends’ families, while parents will have the chance to see their children’s day to day activities.

While at school, she said, student’s friends become like family, and the weekend presents a great chance for parents to meet the women that have become like sisters to their daughters.

Tags: ,

About Colleen Zewe

Contact Colleen