Three arrested on Michigan State gameday, campus packed

Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) arrested three individuals Saturday before and during Notre Dame’s home football game against Michigan State, police chief Keri Kei Shibata said.

“One was inside the stadium; two were outside the stadium,” Shibata said. “There were no citations written. Those three arrests were the only major police action that was taken that day.”

Two of the arrests were for charges of trespassing and one was for public intoxication and disorderly conduct, Shibata said.

Mike Seamon, vice president for campus safety and event management, said Saturday’s game was one of the biggest in recent history in terms of campus activity.

“Night games are usually against big opponents — and it was in September and in driving distance, and the weather cooperated,” he said. “It ended up being a perfect night for football.”

It was estimated that more than 140,000 people were on campus during the day Saturday, Seamon said.

“That’s really high for us,” he said.

The Michigan State game and the home game against Michigan in 2014 were the two biggest night games in recent history, Seamon added. University parking lots were filled to 100 percent capacity.

“Every one was full, from the south side of the stadium to the golf course,” he said. “People seemed to have a very good time.”

Seamon said 4,411 people attended the Notre Dame Stadium tunnel tour Friday and 8,100 people were at the pep rally in Purcell Pavilion. Fans also participated in Game Day Yoga — a new event this year — and checked out the LaBar Practice Complex on Saturday.

Notre Dame gave more than 3,500 golf cart rides to guests Friday and Saturday, and students from various clubs and organizations gave 281 pedal cab rides across campus, Seamon said.

Shibata said from a campus safety standpoint, the game was a success as well.

“With the night game, there’s more time for things to happen,” she said. “And we never know what’s going to happen. But there were actually less calls than the night game last year.”

Officers from state and local police agencies on campus wear the uniform of their own department but technically work for NDSP when dealing with campus crime, Shibata said, though when officers conduct traffic around the University, they are working for their own agency.

The Indiana State Excise Police, the law enforcement branch of the state’s Alcohol and Tobacco Commission, have not been at home football games for the past two years, Shibata said.

“They have jurisdiction anywhere in the state of Indiana,” she said. “If they wanted to come, they could. They have not been here for the last couple seasons.”

In the past, Excise police officers have communicated their plans to come to campus to NDSP, although that would not be required, Shibata added.

Shibata said she hopes fans and visitors continue to make safety and security a priority during future home games.

“With game day, with so many people and guests on campus, we really appreciate members of the Notre Dame community — students, faculty and staff — keeping their eyes open and letting us know if they see anything,” she said.