Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Devin Butler pleads guilty to misdemeanor, felony charges dropped

Notre Dame senior cornerback Devin Butler pleaded guilty at a Monday court appearance to a Class A misdemeanor count of resisting law enforcement.

Butler was charged in August with two felony counts of resisting law enforcement and battery against a public safety official, but both charges have been dropped as part of the plea deal.

Butler will now enter a pretrial diversion program where he will pay the state nearly $150 for damage to officer Aaron Knepper’s clothing and will write an apology to Knepper, who arrested Butler on Aug. 20 at the Linebacker Lounge near campus.

Butler will also complete 24 hours of community service as part of the pretrial diversion program. If Butler violates the terms of the program, the misdemeanor count will stand and Butler could face up to one year in county jail and up to a $5,000 fine. If Butler successfully completes the program, the misdemeanor charge will be dismissed.

Senior cornerback Devin Butler defends former Irish receiver Corey Robinson during the 2015 Blue-Gold Game at LaBar Practice Complex on April 18, 2015.

The South Bend Police Department conducted an internal investigation regarding Knepper’s actions in the arrest after witnesses, including Butler’s girlfriend, accused Knepper of misconduct. South Bend Police Chief Scott Ruszkowsi said Friday there was no evidence of wrongdoing in the case, though no formal complaint was filed by Butler.

One day after his arrest, Irish head coach Brian Kelly suspended Butler from the football team indefinitely Aug. 21.

Neither Butler nor his attorney, Jeffrey Kimmell, commented on the case.