Donald Trump and politcal correctness

There is a severe political correctness problem in America. Safe spaces, trigger warnings and microaggressions are constructs utilized to suppress free speech and prevent meaningful discussion. However, such absurd creations are simply tangible representations of the aggressively pervasive aura of political correctness in America. Political correctness is not just a problem facing college campuses, but America as a whole. There is an absolute need to put an end to such a fascist trend. With that said, the solution to ending such a movement is not Donald Trump. In fact, the blatant offensiveness of Trump’s rhetoric only adds to the problem. It is imperative that all those who wish to halt political correctness and restore the sanctity of free speech in America reject such rudeness as the solution, and instead embrace the value of meaningful intellectual dialogue.

Donald Trump is often labeled “refreshing.” He seems to be the opposite of any mainstream politician. He delivers unprepared and unfiltered speeches, a spectacle unprecedented in recent political history. However, people all too often make the mistake of associating such a lack of a filter with the virtuous qualities of authenticity and honesty. Trump has even been labeled the “anti-PC” candidate by many, including most of the media. However, Trump is not authentic, transparent or anti-PC; he is just a jerk.  

Being against political correctness is not about hurling insults or demeaning groups of people. Certainly, Trump has the right to make vulgar remarks, but those who are truly against political correctness should not champion such disgusting comments. Opposing political correctness is about standing up for the right to engage in honest, intellectual debate, not about opposing basic civility and respect for others.

One could argue that Trump’s rhetoric, while claimed by many to damage politically correct culture, only aids the so called “PC police.” Trump’s racist remarks against Mexicans, his many sexist and lewd proclamations against women, his insults against war veterans and countless others of his verbal atrocities are essentially gifts to those in the politically correct camp. This is because every time Trump says something contemptible, he claims to be doing so to spite the notion of political correctness. Thus, people associate such repulsive rhetoric with the anti-PC movement. This helps the politically correct tyrants tremendously. Donald Trump, through insulting masses of people in the name of opposing political correctness, tarnishes the reputation of all those who are tirelessly and righteously standing up for the first amendment.

We must reject Trumpism as a viable solution to the epidemic of political correctness.

Refuting political correctness should be about speaking truths, no matter how controversial, in order to foster necessary dialogue about important issues. It should not be about spouting personal attacks and hurling third-grade level insults. Donald Trump is not at all representative of those who are against political correctness. Let’s not let him speak for us.