NDSP: Clown photos around campus a “hoax”

Photos posted on social media of a clown on campus are currently being investigated by the Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP), according to an email sent out to students early Thursday morning.

The photos were deemed a hoax, according to the email, and there is no immediate threat to the Notre Dame community.

This photo of a clown supposedly outside Carroll Hall was circulating on social media late Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. The photo was deemed a hoax by NDSP in an email it sent to students early Thursday morning.
This photo of a clown, allegedly shown outside Carroll Hall, was circulating on social media late Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. The photo was deemed a hoax by NDSP in an email sent to students early Thursday morning.

The hoax comes after a string of clown-related incidents across the country, according to various news media outlets. A clown sighting was reported near the entrance to Saint Mary’s campus Monday night. Security officers and local law enforcement responded to the call and searched the area, but were unable to find the person.

The student responsible for posting the photos has been identified and contacted by NDSP, which is currently addressing the issue, according to the email.

The email also said students should report any safety concerns or suspicious activity to NDSP immediately.