Navigating the South Bend airwaves

Navigating the South Bend Airwaves WEB
Andrea Savage

Many of us drive through South Bend with the ability to hook up our phones to and listen to the streaming service of our choice. If not, we’re listening to the satellite radio installed in our cars. Though these options allow us to be selective in our listening, we miss out on new music and exposure to local radio personalities and local advertisements to name a few.

If your favorite genre is Country or Contemporary Christian, then you won’t have any problem finding a station to cater to your tastes. For others, sorting through these countless stations is a daunting task. That's why we've done it for you, to highlight some of the most listen-worthy stations available on South Bend's FM waves.

WSMK Smokin’ 99.1

Smokin’ 99.1 is Michiana’s hip hop station. On it you’ll hear top hits by Drake, Usher and Rihanna, but also fresh tracks from up-and-comers. One of Smokin’ 99.1’s features is “Local Flow” which showcases artists from the area.

WRBR 103.9 — The Bear

On The Bear you’ll hear classics like Led Zeppelin and more recent semi-classics like Nirvana and The Offspring. This is where you’ll find well-known rock hits spanning multiple decades. Though it has a penchant for crowd-pleasers, the Bear doesn’t shy away from harder rock and metal. Rock bands from the area can be featured on “Local X.”

WIRX 107.1 

Though the station is described as “mainstream rock,” stations like this seem to be on the decline, as pure alternative rock is being overtaken by alt-pop. On WIRX, you’ll hear familiar rockers like Breaking Benjamin, as well as more current bands like Red Sun Rising. WIRX is a good place to find new rock music, especially on “Newrock@9 with Brock.” The station’s “OK2Say No to Bullying” campaign sends a positive message to its younger listeners.

Though you won’t find it on an FM station, don’t forget to tune in online to Notre Dame’s student-run radio station WVFI, where you’ll find talk shows hosted by Notre Dame students, and the maximum variety of new music.

And finally, if you find yourself missing Ariana Grande, you can tune in to WNDV U93 (92.9), South Bend’s top-40 station.

Now you’re armed with some presets to click through on your next car ride. Between songs you’ll catch local political ads and commentary from interesting personalities, some things that are missing from even your best Spotify playlists.