Colin McGovern relishes chance to start in senior year

Gaining a starting position this year against Texas is Colin McGoverns biggest accomplishment so far during his football career. 

Just being a starter here has probably been my biggest accomplishment, just because of how far I have come,McGovern said. Its not that it hasn't been done, its just the fact that I came in not playing, and it came down to my senior year whether or not Id get to be a starter. The fact that I came out on the other side of campus senior year as a starter — its huge to me. I wasnt sure what I would have done next year had I not gotten a spot and proven myself. Its been huge for this year and especially next year, since I plan to come back.

Although McGoverns first game action was during his sophomore season against Rice, he said starting against Texas was the most significant game to him personally.

Irish senior offensive lineman Colin McGovern, front, engages a Navy defender during Notre Dame’s loss to the Midshipmen on Nov. 5.

Starting this year against Texas on the road — it was just completely wild,McGovern said. Obviously there is nothing like a home game, but opening up against Texas for your first game as a Notre Dame starter is pretty wild, too. Getting down there and stepping onto the field, it was just a sea of orange; you couldn't see anything other than orange. I was obviously excited, and nervousness naturally came along with it. But it was awesome and a highlight of my career here.

Reflecting on his four years being a part of the Notre Dame football program, McGovern said the brotherhood among this teammates and the programs resilience continues to impress him.

Id say the brotherhood and togetherness of the team makes the Notre Dame experience special,McGovern said. Just the fact that you are in a locker room full of guys that are willing to fight for one another. Its in a sense that you see your teammates in the weight room or on the field, giving everything they got, and that motivates you too because you don't want to be the guy thats not getting better. We all hold each other accountable. Just the resilience you see here too is special. If you look at this season, there are more losses than wins, but we are still going out there everyday and fighting to get better and at least make a bowl game.

Similarly to many of his teammates, McGovern mentioned that time management has been one of his biggest challenges during his years here.

Staying on top of academics and football is a constant challenge,McGovern said. Although they say football is 20 hours a week, thats just what the coaches have with you; there is way more that goes into it. Time management is crucial, whether its trying to cram a 20 minute nap to have enough energy to make it through practice or finding time to study for a test you have at seven in the morning when you have spring ball practice right before then. Its been difficult, but its definitely has been most beneficial things to learn as well.

While juggling academics and football has been demanding, the strenuous academics is what drew McGovern here in the first place.

I remember when I was listening to Adam Sargent talk about the academics, I was sold on coming here,McGovern said. Id already kind of seen the tradition and all the history, and I knew about the strong football culture. But what drew me here, and I am sure you heard from other players as well, is the degree. The degree and everything that accompanied the degree set Notre Dame apart and fully got me excited about attending Notre Dame.

As a student in the Mendoza College of Business, McGovern is majoring in management consulting. Considering plans after graduation, he does not know where his degree will take him.

If I dont go to the NFL, Id hopefully find a job within the business world, maybe something in sales, but I have no idea to be honest,” he said. “... The best advice I have gotten is to live in the present, and it didnt really click until recently; it didnt really settle in until probably a few weeks ago — I just thought about how I have at most another year here. Looking back, I remember walking in here as a freshman and thinking Id be here forever. Now I am sitting on the other side and it is crazy. Best advice is to live in the moment and not take anything for granted.