Predictions: Interhall championships

Elizabeth Greason, Interhall EditorNo. 3 Stanford vs. No. 5 Duncan

Stanford is hungry for a title after losing in the semifinals the last two seasons, and it will win one Sunday. While Duncan’s significant improvements since the Griffins defeated them in week one cannot be overlooked, the Griffins are simply too strong on both sides of the ball for the Highlanders to handle.

The Highlanders have had high-scoring games this year and will have difficulty stopping Stanford’s powerhouse offense, led by sophomore Chase Jennings under center and a strong, varied receiving corps.

Duncan has had a successful season, especially considering it shut out the top seed, St. Edward’s, but before this year, the Highlanders had won one game in its history. The Griffins are a well-oiled machine and will ultimately overpower the Highlanders in a tough battle.

FINAL SCORE: Stanford 18, Duncan 9

No. 1 Welsh Family vs. No. 3 Ryan

It will be a tight, fierce battle between Welsh Family and Ryan, but the Wildcats will unseat the defending-champion Whirlwinds.

The Whirlwind seniors have played in the stadium each of their four years and are prepared for the added pressure the venue brings. However, Ryan will feed off the crowd’s energy. Both Ryan and Welsh Family have had strong defenses throughout the season, but the Wildcats’ offensive prowess will be able to top the strong Whirlwind defense.

Offensive nerves will play a factor, as the Whirlwinds rely heavily on junior quarterback Caroline Puntillo, who is in her first season on the team. Ryan’s lone loss came to Welsh Family earlier in the season, but the Wildcats have made significant improvements since then. The game will be a defensive fight, but Ryan will be able to edge the Whirlwinds.

FINAL SCORE:  Ryan 13, Welsh Family 8

R.J. Stempak, Interhall Editor

No. 3 Stanford vs. No. 5 Duncan

In its first game of the season, Duncan narrowly fell short against Stanford, 15-12. It has not lost since, posting two shutouts in those next four games, along with a thoroughly dominating victory over the No. 1-seeded St. Edward’s in the semifinals.

Stanford barely squeaked a win out last week over Keenan, managing to stay alive in a tight 14-12 contest. It has been consistent throughout the season and has already beaten the Highlanders this season.

But things change in the playoffs. Both teams have hit their strides at the right time, and this is set up to be a close battle. Duncan, in its first-ever playoff appearance, appears to be the team of destiny. Duncan is just a little bit hotter than Stanford right now, and should look to carry forward the momentum of shutting out the No. 1 seed into the stadium.

FINAL SCORE:Duncan 15, Stanford 12No. 1 Welsh Family vs. No. 3 Ryan

In a West Quad matchup, Welsh Family will look to repeat as champion with only Ryan standing in its way. Both teams have lost once, with Ryan’s loss coming to Welsh Family.

Welsh Family’s only loss came to Breen-Phillips, whom it shut out in the semifinals, 18-0. The Whirlwinds have made it to the stadium the past four seasons, so their seniors will not be fazed by the bright lights.

Ryan’s semifinal win will give it confidence going into the finals, but the Wildcats need to learn from their loss to the Whirlwinds to pick up the win.

I am going to have to favor Welsh Family, the dominant defending champions. I do not see them giving up the title, having already beaten Ryan this year and coming off of a shutout of the only team they lost to this season in their rematch.

FINAL SCORE:Welsh Family 20, Ryan 6