Saint Mary's Campus Ministry offers prayer after election

On the day after the election, students, faculty and staff gathered in one of the chapels at Saint Mary’s to pray for peace, healing and for our new governmental leaders. Our president, Jan Cervelli, invited the campus community to make this response. Before all else, we are a community grounded in faith, and we are a people of prayer, hope and trust.

The community at Saint Mary’s upholds four core values and works to mold our lives according to them. Our value of community exhorts us to remember that all members of the community are valued and that we are bonded together by a common purpose.

As campus ministers, we have met and talked with students who are experiencing fear, uncertainty and deep sorrow. We have also talked with others who feel certain that the future of our country will be better with the newly elected leadership. We want to affirm that whatever our differences, our faith calls us to respect the dignity of all persons. Whatever our differences, we are and must remain bonded by a common purpose — love.

The Nov. 9 community prayer reflected on a passage from Colossians that reminded us to “put on love, that is, the bond of perfection.” We believe in a Saint Mary’s bonded together for the common purpose of loving one another. We stand against any acts of animosity, which by nature are contrary to love. We hope this time of transition and uncertainty can be marked on our campus and everywhere by notable acts of goodness and love, particularly toward those who are suffering.

In the weeks ahead, let everyone know we are Saint Mary’s by our love.

Jessica Kimmet

Fr. Steve Newton

Emily Sipos-Butler

Regina C. Wilson

Campus Ministers, Saint Mary’s

Nov. 13