Welsh Family, Ryan advance to championship game

No. 1 Welsh Family def. No. 5 Breen-Phillips

By Elizabeth Greason

No. 1 Welsh Family shutout No. 5 Breen-Phillips 18-0 in an anticipated matchup on Tuesday evening.

The defending champion Whirlwinds (6-1) dominated on both sides of the ball, as they were able to overcome the Babes (4-3) and keep them off the board.

Welsh Family scored twice in the first half on pass plays to give it a solid lead going into halftime. The Whirlwinds added to their lead in the final minutes of the game when they were able to pick up another touchdown, the final score of the game, on a long run.

Babes senior captain Emily Affinito said she was proud of her team’s performance this season and believes that in future seasons they will be able to continue this year’s success.

“Overall, I’m just proud of the team for making it this far,” Affinito said. “Obviously the game didn’t go the way we wanted it to, but [Breen-Phillips] has never made it this far, so that’s already a win in my mind. It was a great group to go out with for my senior season, and I know that BP Team 2016 will not be forgotten.”

While the Babes’ playoff berth has come to an end, top-seeded Welsh Family will attempt to defend its title in the championship game when it takes on No. 3 Ryan in a West Quad battle on Nov. 20 at 2:45 p.m. at Notre Dame Stadium.

No. 3 Ryan def. No. 7 Badin

By Mia Berry

No. 3 Ryan’s fast start allowed it to overcome No. 7 Badin, 19-6.

Ryan started the game out strong when senior quarterback Kathleen Conaty threw two touchdowns to senior receiver and captain Emily Tessitore to give Ryan a 12-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Badin rebounded when senior defensive back Nicole Handa intercepted the ball, and senior quarterback and captain Rachel Wimsatt capitalized with a touchdown pass to freshman Emma Bzik to cut Ryan’s lead to six.

Late in the fourth quarter, Conaty ran in a 40-yard touchdown and converted on an extra-point attempt to give Ryan a 19-6 lead with three minutes remaining in the fourth. The Bullfrogs marched down the field until Ryan came up with the interception, ending the drive and the comeback attempt.

Senior Ryan captain Shawn Hall said she was thrilled that the Wildcats will be playing in the stadium.

“[It] feels super exciting to play at the stadium,” Hall said. “Emily and I both played there as freshmen, and we didn’t win so it would be a great opportunity for us to get some revenge and end our interhall careers on a high note.”

Tessitore attributed her team’s success to offensive execution.

“Offensively, we just wanted to stay true to us, and the only time we got in trouble is when we started to freak out, and in the second half we calmed down, executed and played football the way we know how to,” Tessitore said.

Wimsatt was proud of her team’s performance despite the wet conditions.

“I’m really proud of the girls,” Wimsatt said. “Our defense pulled it together and did the best they could for us. They gave us all the opportunities. Offense was harder to play today. It was windy, raining, cold, the ball was wet.”

Although Badin lost in the semifinals, Wimsatt said she is optimistic about the future of Bullfrog football.

“It’s always sad to see the season end, but I’m really proud of this team, and how far they’ve come, and I’m very excited about their future in flag football,” Wimsatt said.

The Wildcats take on No. 1 Welsh Family on Nov. 20 at 2:45 p.m. at Notre Dame Stadium.