Belles fall to Albion in conference opener

Saint Mary’s lost its MIAA opener on Saturday, falling 81-48 to Albion.

The Belles scored the first points of the game and led 5-3 early on, but quickly fell behind thanks to an 18-2 run by the Brits. The Brits continued to look on top for the second quarter, as they extended their lead to 41-20 at halftime. Sophomore guard Erin Maloney had 7 points for the Belles at the half, but her team had no answer for the Brits’ ball movement as they gave up 16 assists on 17 first-half field goals.

Although the Belles began the second half with a 7-2 run, the Brits quickly re-strengthened their lead, scoring 25 points in just over 7 minutes to end the quarter leading 68-37. The fourth quarter was the most competitive of the game, with the Belles giving up only 13 points. However, already trailing by more than 30 points when it began, the Belles weren’t able to make the game any closer, as the Brits ended up 81-48 victors. Sophomore forward Kelsey Ronan led the Belles in points with 13. The Brits outrebounded the Belles 46-28 and recorded 20 offensive boards.

The Belles will now begin a busy winter schedule that sees them play each MIAA opponent as well as an out-of-conference tournament in Las Vegas. Saint Mary’s will host Trine and Calvin and travel to Adrian before meeting Montclair State, California Lutheran and Millikin in the Las Vegas Hoopla. MIAA action will then resume for the Belles in the new year, when they meet Kalamazoo, Alma, Hope and Olivet.

Trine will come to Saint Mary’s on Dec. 7. Tip-off will be at 7:30 p.m.