Tuesday, March 19, 2024

WR Torii Hunter Jr. will not seek fifth year, will pursue professional baseball career

Irish senior receiver Torii Hunter Jr. will not seek a fifth year, opting to instead pursue a professional baseball career, the 2016 captain announced Thursday in a tweet.

“After long consideration and prayer, I’ve decided not to pursue a fifth year at the University of Notre Dame, but rather follow a dream of playing professional baseball with the Los Angeles Angels,” Hunter said.

Irish senior receiver Torii Hunter Jr. looks to pick up more yards after a catch during Notre Dame’s 17-10 loss to Stanford on Oct. 15.

Hunter did not see the field during his freshman season, but he went on to notch 73 receptions for six touchdowns in three seasons with the Irish. He finished 2016 as Notre Dame’s second-leading receiver despite only appearing in nine of 12 games. Hunter also briefly moonlighted as a defender during the 2015 season, lining up as a nickelback in a 42-30 win at Pittsburgh.

At Notre Dame, Hunter was a two-sport athlete, competing on the baseball team during his sophomore (2015) and junior (2016) years. The Prosper, Texas, native made 23 career appearances for the Irish with one start, scoring nine runs in those appearances.

Hunter was selected in the 23rd round of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Los Angeles Angels in June, signing a professional contract that month.

“I came to Notre Dame to challenge myself, both in the classroom and on the field, but in my time here I found that this university offered a lot more than I would’ve ever imagined,” Hunter said in his tweet. “The wisdom and knowledge that I’ve gained from my professors, the lifelong friendships and the personal growth are only some of the things that have made my Notre Dame experience truly invaluable.”

The Observer profiled Hunter last month in an Irish Insider feature story before Notre Dame’s Senior Day contest against Virginia Tech.