Brandon Aubrey selected in first round of MLS SuperDraft

Toronto FC selected former Notre Dame defender Brandon Aubrey with the 21st overall pick in Friday’s MLS SuperDraft.

Aubrey, who was Toronto’s lone first-round selection, had a career-high nine goals this past season, along with 19 points, as the Irish made it to the third round of the NCAA tournament. Aubrey earned third-team NSCAA All-American honors, finishing his Notre Dame career with 15 goals and four assists after coming into South Bend as a midfielder and defender. Aubrey switched to focus solely on defense toward the end of his collegiate career.

Irish senior defender Brandon Aubrey fires a penalty kick during Notre Dame's 1-0 win over New Mexico on Sunday at Alumni Stadium. Aubrey converted the penalty shot, scoring the only goal of the game in the victory.
Irish senior defender Brandon Aubrey fires a penalty kick during Notre Dame's 1-0 win over New Mexico on Aug. 28 at Alumni Stadium.

Aubrey becomes the 27th Notre Dame athlete picked in the SuperDraft since 2004. Of those 27, 21 players have been picked in the first two rounds of the draft. In the 2016 MLS SuperDraft, defenseman Max Lachowecki and midfielder Patrick Hodan were selected 25th and 28th respectively. He is Notre Dame’s highest-drafted player since Nick Besler went fifth overall to the Portland Timbers in the 2015 SuperDraft.

At Notre Dame, Aubrey was part of the national championship-winning team in 2013, playing 10 minutes in the NCAA championship game victory over Maryland.

Last season, Toronto nearly took home MLS Cup, but fell in the final to the Seattle Sounders on penalty kicks following a 0-0 draw.