Sunday, May 12, 2024

Why I’m boycotting the Keenan Revue

I am upset. I woke up one morning over winter break, opened Facebook, and whoomp! there it was: the onslaught of North Quad’s Keenan Knights sharing a promotional video for the Keenan Revue. While I have no problem with the Revue itself, I was unimpressed with their choice for this year’s theme: State of the Revuenion. At a time when political divisiveness is at an all-time high, Keenan chose to highlight our differences instead of bringing us together. For the first time, I will not make my way to Stepan Center on either Feb. 9, 10 or 11 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for their “comedy.” Even though these Knights have found a way yet again to come up with an unbelievable pun for “Revue,” our campus community should not support this event. I implore the thousands of students who set yearly attendance records for a dorm event to send a message this year. The best way to let Keenan know we do not support them is to avoid the LaFun Ballroom at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 1 (definitely no lining up early to get a good spot like we always do). After thinking about it, I will go this year, not to support them but because, as former Keenan Knight Sun Tzu said, “If you know your enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.” Maybe after waiting in line for tickets in the LaFun Ballroom on Feb. 1 around 5 p.m., and going to Stepan Center on either Feb. 9, 10 or 11 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., I’ll know exactly how to take them down next year. Fellow reasonable people: Join me in Stepan Center for silent protest and potential laughter. They might call themselves the Keenan Revue, but this year, it’s #NotMyRevue.

David Troyer

assistant director, Keenan Revue

junior

Jan. 30