Notre Dame adds two new coaches to its staff

Notre Dame announced two new additions to its program Thursday, as wide receivers coach DelVaughn Alexander and strength coach Matt Balis joined the Irish staff.

Alexander replaces former wide receivers coach Mike Denbrock, who took over the job of offensive coordinator at Cincinnati in the offseason. Alexander has coached at Wisconsin, Oregon State, UNLV and, for the past five seasons, Arizona State.

“I’m excited to officially get on board, hit the road recruiting and to find and develop the best student-athletes in the country,” Alexander said in a press release. “Notre Dame is a special place, and I’ve been able to the see the power of its brand on the recruiting trails across the country for the last 15-20 years. I’m honored and humbled to serve this University, this program and these remarkable young men.”

Meanwhile, Balis — whose official title is Director of Football Performance — takes over for long-time strength and conditioning coach Paul Longo, who had been at Notre Dame for the past six seasons and with Brian Kelly at Cincinnati before that. Longo has taken a leave of absence from the program.

Balis served as the head strength and conditioning coach at UConn for the past three years and has spent time at Mississippi State, Utah and Virginia. During his coaching career, Balis has worked with former UConn head coach and Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, current Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer and Mississippi head coach Dan Mullen.

“It’s an honor and dream come true to be part of the Notre Dame football program,” Balis said in a press release. “I’m humbled by this opportunity, and I’ll work hard everyday to give our players and program my absolute best.”