-

-

SMC Basketball

Albion routs Belles, who still seek MIAA win

| Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A 20-0 first-quarter run saw Albion defeat Saint Mary’s by a score of 82-55 on Saturday, as the Belles still look for their first conference win of the season.

Despite opening the scoring with a three-point play from freshman forward Megan Will, Saint Mary’s (1-16, 0-9 MIAA) soon fell behind, giving up 20 unanswered points in just under eight minutes before junior forward Gabby Diamond added a layup at the very end of the opening period to bring the score to 22-7. Saint Mary’s struggled to make shots in the first quarter, converting only 3-of-18 attempts, while the Brits (13-4, 6-3 MIAA) shot 9-of-15 from the field.

The Belles brought the score to within 10 points early in the second quarter, but Albion began to pull away again and led 43-22 by halftime. Saint Mary’s appeared to have a chance to get back into the game in the third quarter when they brought the score to 51-38, but again, the Brits went on a run to extend their lead, bringing the score to 65-42 with one quarter remaining. Freshman guard Ally Steve’s shooting played a major part in keeping the Belles close through the third quarter, as she made 3-of-6 3-point attempts in the period, while also adding two steals on defense. Diamond’s rebounding was also a third-quarter highlight, with the forward grabbing eight boards, including four offensive rebounds.

The Belles couldn’t bring the game any closer in the fourth quarter, however, as the Brits continued to roll and brought the lead to as many as 29 points before a late layup from sophomore guard Erin Maloney gave the game its final score of 82-55.

Diamond and Steve tied as the leading Belles scorers with 14 points each, while Diamond also added a career-high 19 rebounds. Will added 13 points.

The Belles will travel to Trine this Wednesday as they continue to look for a first conference victory of the season. Tip-off is at 6 p.m.