SMC hosts Heritage Week to showcase College history

For Saint Mary’s Heritage Week, the Student Government Association (SGA) and the Alumnae Relations Committee (ARC) have scheduled a week of events that honor and share the history of Saint Mary’s.

Vice chair of the ARC Kayse McGough said Heritage Week is a great time to celebrate what makes Saint Mary’s so unique.

“Saint Mary's has such a rich heritage that has been preserved throughout campus, through the Sisters of the Holy Cross and through our vast network of alumnae,” McGough said.

SGA Missions Committee co-chair Lydia Lorenc said this week on campus is special because it’s a way for students to learn how the College’s mission statement came about.

“It exposes students to the rich history of our founders,” Lorenc said. “One goal of our committee is to promote the College's mission statement.”

On Monday, the SGA and the ARC will host teas at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. in Riedinger house. Students will listen to some background information on Saint Mary’s heritage, given by members of the alumnae office.

Tuesday is the Father Moreau Dinner in the dining hall. The dinner will be followed by a panel of brothers and sisters who will share their stories about entering the religious life with the Congregation of Holy Cross. The panel will take place in the Warner conference room in the student center from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

On Wednesday at 3 p.m. and Thursday at 10 a.m., there will be a heritage tour with Sister Catherine Osimo at the Church of Loretto. Students will take a tour and further discuss the Congregation of Holy Cross. At 7 p.m. Wednesday there will be an alumnae mixer with local alumnae at the Riedinger House.

McGough said the mixer is a new event.

“I'm really excited for this event because meeting and connecting with Alumnae is really fun,” McGough sad. “They're all incredibly kind, wise, and poised women.”

Thursday evening, the SGA and the ARC will host the annual Heritage dinner, open to junior and senior students.

Heritage Week concludes on Friday with “Thank You Notes to Sisters,” in which students have the opportunity to thank the the sisters for their dedication to the religious life. The event will take place in the student center atrium from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

McGough said she hopes the Saint Mary's student body takes advantage of this week and the opportunities it provides.

“Heritage week is an awesome way to learn new things about Saint Mary's, celebrate timeless traditions and connect with the broader Saint Mary's community,” McGough said.

Lorenc said she expects this week will be valuable and informative to the Saint Mary's community.

“I hope that throughout this week students can gather a greater appreciation for our wonderful school and work and live out the mission of Saint Mary’s College,” Lorenc said.